Sunday, May 5, 2013

Saying goodbye to Hometown, Maine


This past weekend I drove up to North Yarmouth, Maine to say goodbye to the town that I grew up in.  Since I was only a few months old, my family has always lived in the same house.  Even after living in New Hampshire for a few years when I was five, we returned to the house they built on Colonial Drive.  Now, at the end of the month, my parent’s will move on to new adventures.

While I, personally, have moved out of my parent’s house years earlier, it is strange to say goodbye to the town that raised me.  Today, I ran my last long run on the same roads where I ran my first mile so many years ago.  Boxes fill the house stuffed with reminders of the past.  Piles of old clothes, running shoes, and memories litter the garage awaiting trips to goodwill and yard sales.

I am grateful for all that North Yarmouth has given me in my life.  I always believe that it takes an entire town to raise a person, as you are so heavily influenced by those people around you.  Volunteering at a local road race this morning, I was surrounded by those very people.  The coaches, teachers, neighbors and friends.  So while I will no longer have geographic ties to North Yarmouth, the town will continue to be apart of me, as it has helped shaped the person I am today.  And for that, I am truly grateful.

Until next time,

Ben

0 comments: