Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Esperanza 5km


Last night I jumped in my car and drove up to Maine to take part in the Esperanza 5k and to support Safe Passage.  Safe Passage is an organization that works in Guatemala City to bring hope, education and opportunity to the children and families living in extreme poverty around the City’s garbage dump.  By giving children the tools and finances necessary to an garnish an education, Safe Passage provides a way for children to rise up from poverty.  The race, which was organized by a former high school teammate of mine, took part in my home town.  
Finish of the 5k on my high school track
It was great to be able to return to Greely High School and be the master of ceremonies for such a wonderful event.  While I didn’t partake in the 5k myself, I did lace up the shoes to run the in kid’s 300m fun run and somehow managed to mistime my final sprint and ended up finishing last.  

Lining up for the kid's fun run (I'm the tall one in the back)
The day's beautiful weather helped aid a large turnout for the race and an even more impressive thirteen thousand dollars for the charity.  Being able to return home and help an organization that gives so much to others was a treat.  I can only hope to be able to return next year and help raise more money and awareness for Safe Passage, all awhile spreading the joy of running throughout the community.

Where it all started: me and my high school coaches

Until next time,

Ben

0 comments: